Rajiv just completed a project in which he restructured sales territories, met with sales representatives to help them set goals, scheduled motivational meetings, and started a program of quarterly performance review for the sales force. His goals are to reduce waste and provide improved customer service. Rajiv is engaged in
2. (TCO 1) Advertising and subscription revenue at U.S. newspapers have been decreasing. A CEO sets a goal of stopping the decline. The CEO is engaged in
3. (TCO 1) Which of the following is a category of managerial role defined by Henry Mintzberg?
4. (TCO 2) A(n) ____ would come under the heading of the economic element of the general environment.
increase in the number of single parent families
increase in unemployment
large increase in immigration
increase in the mean age of the population
significant decrease in the birthrate
5. (TCO 2) The interest rates are an important aspect of which environment?
None of these choices
6. (TCO 2) Which of the following is NOT one of the elements in the task environment for St. Jude Children s Hospital?
The board of directors
Pharmaceuticals sales representatives
Local pediatric clinics
7. (TCO 2) Which of the following statements would NOT describe a direct influence response to the organization s environment?
A power company sets up and advertises a safety watch program to help reduce crime in an inner city neighborhood.
An industry council hires a lobbyist to represent it in Washington, D.C.
A firm develops new uses for its existing products.
An organization restructures itself from a mechanistic to an organic design.
A firm signs a long term agreement with one of its suppliers.
8. (TCO 3) You suspect that a manager is stealing company funds for his own use, but you decide to ignore it. Your action is
legal and ethical.
illegal but not unethical.
legal but unethical.
illegal and unethical.
illegal but ethical.
9. (TCO 3) Which of the following is the MOST common approach to the management of ethics?
Top management support
A multipage book of organizational policies and procedures
An unwritten code of ethics
A written code of ethics and top management support
10. (TCO 3) New York passed a law requiring no smoking in bars and restaurants. Owners who pressure bartenders and waiters to sell to people who are smoking in order to keep profits high are taking a(n)____ stance toward social responsibility.
11. (TCO 2) List the five dimensions of the general environment and give an example of each would affect a local car dealership.
12. (TCO 3) Describe an ethical dilemma you have faced (it can be as simple as admitting you were undercharged by a cashier). Illustrate how you applied the ethical decision framework (Figure 4.2) in making your final judgment of what to do.