4 page final draft of a persuasive essay, using the elements of writing and supportive evidence, about the best way(s) to motivate high school students to complete their classes successfully, with a sense of accomplishment and pride.
- Cite at least four examples from your reading (The Longman Writer and/or They Say/I Say).
- Cite at least three examples from three different outside sources (e.g., books, journal articles, web articles). Note: Wikipedia will not be accepted as an outside resource.
- Review your essay carefully for any errors in spelling, punctuation, or grammar. Do not simply rely on spell check to catch all mistakes.
- Create a reference list of all sources in APA format (minimum of five sources).
The weekly Milestones are:
- Week 1: Create a thesis and outline of your persuasive essay
- Week 2: Write the first draft of your persuasive essay
- Week 3: Revise and write the second draft of your persuasive essay
- Week 4: Critique a peer’s persuasive essay
- Week 5: Submit final draft of your persuasive essay
Writing and Formatting Expectations
For each weekly Milestone, as well as for the final submission, you should make sure that all documents:
- Include your full name and the Assignment title on the document
To prepare: Review the Final Project Introduction as needed to ensure that your Milestone submissions fit within the larger context of the overall assignment.
Review the following resources in The Longman Writer:
- Chapter 3, “Identifying a Thesis” (pp. 34–39)
- Chapter 5, “Organizing the Evidence” (pp. 51–54 only)
- Chapter 14 selection, “Cyberschool” by Clifford Stoll (pp. 282–284)
- Chapter 18 selection, “In Praise of the ‘F’ Word” by Mary Sherry (pp. 438–439)
Of the ideas presented in the two readings above by Stoll and Sherry, choose one idea that you believe is the most effective in motivating high school students to complete their classes successfully, with a sense of accomplishment and pride, and graduate with their peers.
Consider why you believe that this is the most effective way to motivate high school students.
Review Chapter 19, “Locating, Evaluating, and Integrating Research Sources” (pp. 465–470, 478–492 only) in The Longman Writer. This chapter contains an in-depth description of how to plan effective research strategies, locate resources, and evaluate information. Refer back to this chapter as you work on your Final Project.
- Create a thesis statement and outline for your persuasive essay.